Sunday, May 22, 2011

5/22 - Mada nihongo de omotte iru yo.

So, the homestay was FREAKIN' SWEET

My roommate and I got to stay with the Tange family, a husband and wife with one adult son who lives in Tokyo, for the weekend. We ate a metric boatload of delicious Japanese food, and I took a ton of pictures. Unfortunately a bunch of them are presently inaccessible, as they're on my roommate's camera, but I'm uploading the ones from my phone and facebook as I write.

Friday was fairly relaxing; I got to eat dinner with the Tanges, visit their nephew Inoue-san's house, and have a Japanese-style bath after. Not much to say about all that, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Saturday, we spent the day in town. We went on a tiny river cruise, where we could see the famous A-Bomb Dome and a bunch of tall buildings, then went to a Japanese restaurant on Hondoori Street (Hiroshima's main street, which has a roof over it, how cool is that) for lunch, then toured Hiroshima Castle. Then, because my hair has not been behaving and thus needed chastisement, I spent like half an hour trying to communicate to a store clerk in broken Japanese that I was looking for anti-humidity serum for my hair... I wound up buying a spray-type-thing. It helps, but probably the serum would be better... maybe I'll go back and look for it, or MAYBE I'LL CUT ALL MY HAIR OFF AARGH. In any case, that's when my phone ran out of camera memory, because I'm stupid and I forget my memory card in my computer sometimes.

Sunday was also pretty relaxed. The Tanges showed us how to walk from their house to the university and back, so we can come visit them on weekends for free dinners (epic win, as Mrs. Tange is an awesome cook). We had traditional Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki for lunch (there will be pictures, soon) and went to a Japanese cake shop afterward. It was so cute ._. Then Mrs. Tange took us to a big ol' supermarket and instructed us to pick out whatever we wanted for our last dinner with them. I picked sushi, my roommate sprung for chicken nuggets and pizza. Then we returned to the university, and I wrote this blog entry, about how I'd just been on an awesome... homestay...

...no, I refuse to be caught up in this again...

Anyway! Now I am all kinds of tired, and still thinking in Japanese, which is good, actually. This blog is lovely, dark and deep, but I have a GPA to keep, and homework to do before I sleep...

Sore ja, mata ne!

-Vic

3 comments:

  1. Thinking in Japanese already! How cool is that. See what immersion can do for a gal.
    I'm so glad your home stay was great. Each time I hear from you it sets my heart at ease. Your host family seems very nice and hospitable. Inviting you two girls back anytime was so kind. Let them know how much their kindness means to me. Also, I noticed all the Americana in their home. (ie Route 66 sign ect.) It makes me think Dad's artwork might find a market in Japan. Maybe we should research galleries? Show your host family Dad's website (www.tonydeluz.com) and see if they agree.
    I'd love to hear your impressions of the sites you saw. Maybe you'll get a chance to caption the pics.
    I hope your first day of classes is going swimmingly. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to hear you are having a nice time! Thank you to the Tange family for showing you such hospitality. Please let them know of our gratitude at your first convenience. Love you! Your posts are very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when are you going to update the blog?

    ReplyDelete