Somehow I decided bringing my phone to Toukasan was not terribly important, especially given the tiny size of the bag I was carrying. This is probably because it was very early (Vic-time-wise) and I was not in the mindset to think of "phone" as "camera". I'm a horrible tourist. I'll steal a friend's photos at some point, and show you all. For now, you have my word that I looked awesome in my yukata. The festival was cool too, but more importantly, I wore the crap out of that yukata.
While everyone else decided to spend their money trying to win at the absolutely-rigged festival games that were there, I bought a ton of food. Now, twenty dollars' worth of festival food isn't that much, but even considering how wicked overpriced it was compared to everyday Japanese food, six dollars for eight takoyaki seems reasonable to me, who buys Japanese food in America all the time. In any case, the takoyaki (grilled octopus dumpling-things), ikayaki (grilled squid on a stick), and nikuyaki (grilled beef on a stick--this is beginning to sound like an American state fair) were freakin' awesome. Totally worth the price of like 17 ramen cups from the grocery store...
...uh. I'm gonna proceed to not think about that now.
After checking out the temple and before epic-failing at the one darts game I tried, I got my photo taken for a Hiroshima fashion magazine! HOLY CRAP, ALMOST MY LIFE'S DREAM OR WHATEVER. Sadly, I can't find the thing's website, which I'm doubting it has. All my information about it so far has consisted of skimming people's blog-blurbs about it. Anyway, I'll have to go to the bookstore at some point and see if I can't pick me up a copy of the latest issue. Getting a hold of the issue my photo might be in, on the other hand, will be more difficult... considering I have no idea when it comes out, and thus whether I'll still be in Japan then, hurp derp.
Also, later that night, the festivities moved onto Chuuou-doori, and I got to watch what was ostensibly a hip-hop dance recital, but translated to my American brain as a bunch of fifth-grade girls wearing far too little, dancing to a couple English songs that no one must have bothered translating, as they were surely "dancey," but also just staggeringly, awe-inspiringly inappropriate.
Freakin' Kesha. No, I will not spell it with a dollar sign. I was about to freakin' dry-heave, and no one would have had any idea why.
After dragging my battered and obi-choked body back to campus, I was awakened at like 8 this morning with rock music. It wasn't unpleasant, but I still rolled over and slept 'til 11 before throwing pants and jewelry on to make lunch and check out the Culture Jam, which people had been setting up for all weekend. I promptly regretted both making lunch and spending so much money on festival food the night before, 'cause the university kids definitely also sold takoyaki, but for 150 yen instead of 500. Heh. On the bright side, I have two-dollar yakisoba for lunch tomorrow, and the chicken karaage they made was ABSOLUTELY UNPARALLELED BY ANY FRIED CHICKEN DISH KNOWN TO MAN. And it was 150 yen, too.
Japanese college bands, which are way better than American ones, by the way, played right outside the Seminar House 'til like nine, and my host parents even showed up. (They heard the university Hawaiian club was gonna be playing. They assumed it would be Hawaiian music, but they feigned interest in the Hawaiian club's various rock bands, if only for my sake.)
There were a while ton of booths, some of which were selling food (like 40 percent, at least. There was homemade boba tea) and some of which had activities (another darts booth, which I didn't try this time, and an English trivia quiz, which I still did pretty badly at, for example). A bunch of the people I'd met before were happy to see me there. :D
So, yeah, now I've been doing homework for a while. I knocked out my "about Arizona" poster for the sixth-grade class we'll be visiting on Wednesday in like 45 minutes, leaving my other group members to handle the Japanese translation of the hokey-pokey. (Gerard's got my back on this, I bet: ain't no sixth-graders in no first-world country on Earth gonna be excited about the hokey-pokey.)
Baseball game tomorrow! Also, writing a paper! Good thing I've done most of my due-Tuesday homework tonight, not having any due-Monday homework to speak of. Tanaka-sensei is terribly kind that way. :P There's probably something next weekend, too, but I'll try to squeeze an update in before then. Maybe Wednesday night.
Later, adulators,
-Vic
Wow! Sounds like you've had a ton of fun in the last couple of days. It also sounds like you learned a few life lessons like never leave your phone behind, festival food is expensive everywhere on the globe, and get a business card when a magazine photographer takes your picture for publication. (Idea: if you can't find the magazine before you leave maybe your host family could get one and send it. Just leave them some money to pay for shipping.)
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your insights on the children dancing to Kesha. I just hope their dance moves weren't as suggestive as the lyrics and apparently the costumes.
Teaching the 6th graders about AZ should be fun. I'm sure your poster is stellar 'cause you do that. And as far as the Hokey-Pokey is concerned, if you explain it's a dance for little kids that they can teach their siblings and young friends and that even some young-at-heart American adults have been known to do it at wedding receptions, maybe they'll get into it. Gabe said it would be kinda fun... but he's always kinda fun.
I hope your classes are getting easier and conversing in Japanese is also getting easier.
Have fun at the baseball game where the food will also be too expensive for what it is just like in the US. Wonder if they'll sell peanuts, hot dogs, and beer along with Japanese fare?
Hope to hear from you Wednesday night. LOVE YA!
I agree no little girls (American or Japanese) should listen or dance to Ke$ha, not good.
ReplyDeleteHaha, It's so cool that you got your picture taken for that magazine. Yah, you should have your host parents buy you a copy.
Yum! Fried fair food on a stick sounds good.
And have fun with your Arizona presentation.
I love you Issy,
<3 Celeste
OMG YOU'RE RIGHT, MY HOST FAMILY
ReplyDeleteTHAT IS THE BEST IDEA, THANK YOU MOM
Yeah, there's no way they bothered to translate the lyrics after choosing the songs. "Ehh, we don't know English, the kids don't know English.. but it's so dancey!"
They totally had food outside the ballpark for way cheaper, which I bought a ton of. Yeah, there were hot dogs and peanuts and beer, but nothing better than a bento and an iced green tea for a Japanese baseball game...
Tell Dad I couldn't find him a reasonably priced Carp jersey, but instead I got him something awesome that he'll have nowhere to put and thus be forced to let me keep it for myself. >:3 That's how awesome it is.
Celeste: IT WAS GRILLED; I AM HEALTHY
Does this thing work?
ReplyDeleteHI VIC
I am reading your blog :D <3
Becca
Glad you're having a great time. I wouldn't expect a Carp jersey! Those things are expensive!
ReplyDeleteAll your hard work is paying off... Would be great if you could use this trip as the basis for your honors thesis. How is the conversational Japanese going? Lots of people are loving the blog.
Love, Dad
Robocco: Yes it works, HI BECCA, I AM READING YOUR COMMENT
ReplyDeleteDad: Yeah they freakin' are D: I kinda wanted one too, but I'd rather drop $100 on clothes in Tokyo later, lol.
EWW THESIS. I'll have to sniff out a novel to try and translate. The conversation class is the one that's going well for me. :P
Thought you'd like to know Gabe had a blast playing on Translation Party today. I have to admit... so did I. I got 2 "you should move to Japans", 3 "Translation Party is hiring, you knows" and at least one "You've got this figured out."
ReplyDeleteIt makes me so sad that translationparty gets less fun as they make the software better.
ReplyDeleteAlso, my future job security, but TRANSLATIONPARTY